Communications Internships, NGO Jobs, Digital Content Internships, Adeso Africa Jobs
Organization Adeso : African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title Digital Content, Fundraising & Communications Intern
Reporting To Program Manager and Executive Director
Working With Programs Team and Executive Director’s Office
Program/ Duty Station Open (Washington, DC, or Nairobi, Kenya) This is a local position and all candidates must prove work authorization for preferred duty station.
Duration 1 year, renewable
Starting Date Immediately
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years, we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso’s Communications Team is responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of the Adeso Communications Strategy. This includes defining and formulating key messages and proof points to broaden the understanding of Adeso’s unique, people centered and participatory program approach amongst stakeholders across the humanitarian and development sector, governments, donors and the media.
S/he will work with colleagues to support the communications efforts of Adeso’s program teams; and s/he will support the organization’s growth. S/he will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that Adeso communications enable and accelerate the system-level change envisaged in Adeso’s strategic goals.
We are looking for a Digital Content & Communications Intern with a breadth of knowledge in PR, social media, marketing, web, running and managing campaigns and e-communications with plenty of room and interest in innovation, challenges and learning. This opportunity requires the ability to coordinate, research, and create content (i.e., social media, donor communications, impact stories, program updates, etc.) for a variety of audiences including, donors, media, the general public, internal staff, and program partners among others. The position will specifically be responsible for leading the daily management of social media and online communications and marketing activities for multiple online platforms.
The successful candidate will have a talent for writing and a willingness to engage in projects ranging from writing, editing, proofreading, and leveraging social media and blogs-across several different publications while juggling multiple deadlines and priorities. The desired candidate will exude passion and a driving desire for excellence in all they do. The candidate will also be expected to be a strategic thinker who understands how social media is a vital part of a larger, integrated digital marketing strategy including SEO, Analytics, Email Marketing, and building a culture of constant testing and refinement.
- Increase Adeso’s online visibility, voice, and influence;
- Run and manage fundraising, support business development and communication through a variety of tools, techniques and resources – including media pitching, ongoing website presence, promotional materials;
- Lead and manage social media fundraising campaigns.
Social Media & Fundraising Management
- Develop and execute social media strategies to leverage editorial content across a variety of channels as well drive reader engagement
- Manage Adeso’s current social media accounts;
- Assess Adeso’s current social media presence and determine which new channels offer the best opportunity to increase the organization’s online presence;
- Set targets for increasing Adeso’s visibility and reach via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other selected social networking sites;
- Analyze and optimize monthly social engagement analytics and ad performance on all platforms;
- Monitor monthly social performance ensuring the yearly goals are met or exceeded;
- Maintain a list of all social media accounts log-in information and always make sure HQ has the most up-to-date information; and,
- Develop and implement social media campaigns, including use of paid advertisements.
- Develop and manage online fundraising campaigns using Facebook, Gofundme, Globalgiving, and more.
Content Development and Editorial Support
- Develop and maintain overall content strategy and standards for voice and tone for digital communications;
- Provide frameworks and guidance to support colleagues in their promotional and messaging work, in line with the Communications Strategy;
- Maintain and help to evolve the voice of web communications; research, write and edit SEO-rich, grammatically accurate content for Adeso’s website, e-mails and social media, taking a proactive approach to improve our communications and brand across all online channels;
- Edit and disseminate Adeso case studies and success stories to maximize their use;
- Support the writing and editing of Adeso’s publications, including the upcoming 25th anniversary Impact Report;
- Promote Adeso in relevant media and network spaces and manage the production and delivery of appropriate outreach material, including key publications such as the annual report.
- Beyond these specific responsibilities, the Communications Intern is expected to collaborate on activities as agreed upon with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and Development to support the delivery of the Strategic Plan and Fundraising Strategy.
- Develop and promote communication tools and resources to use in their external activities, in order to secure a consistent external Adeso message, and optimize the communications power of Adeso.
- Copyediting, edit, review, and mark documents to ensure correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, and usage. Impose a consistent style while querying or correcting inconsistencies, flagging and checking head levels and callouts for graphics or notes, cross-checking in-text references, and styling reference lists or bibliographies.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with team members, and other units across the organization
- Any other duty as may be assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field;
- 1-2 years’ work experience in communications and marketing;
- 1-2 years professional experience w/ Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, with proven results on impacting Key Performance Indicators of an organization;
- Expertise and experience leveraging social media communication channels to provide a compelling and inspired sense of an organization’s mission to a broad range of audiences;
- Experience with HTML coding, email distribution tools and content management systems;
- Knowledge of social media management & analytics tools such as SproutSocial, Buffer, Hootsuite, SocialBro, TweetDeck, Followerwonk, Sprinklr, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Pinterest Analytics, etc.;
- Experience with social media design tools such as Canva, PicMonkey, Pagemodo, Piktochart, Infogr.am,
- Understanding how social media plays a role within a larger digital marketing team to contribute to a unified vision of campaigns;
- Passionate learner and self-starter. You should be comfortable owning your projects and have a ‘learner focused’ mindset. You have a propensity to take action, learn from your mistakes, and bring a wealth of knowledge to the team;
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity;
- Bonus: Experience working within a humanitarian or development context and working on international donor – funded projects.
How To Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting “Digital Content, Fundraising & Communications Intern” in the email subject matter, by April 30th 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages);
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements, and indication of your preferred work location, and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.