Reference Number: CO – 2822019
To plan, develop and implement effective and efficient communication strategies and tools for the Training and Capacity Development department at KWTRP. To raise awareness, understanding and visibility of the department’s research, training and capacity development activities within and outside KWTRP and, across diverse stakeholders (local & international). To manage all communication requirements and activities for the department and provide technical support to the departmental schemes and teams, as required.
- Formulate and implement appropriate, relevant and timely communication and information exchange guidelines, strategies and procedures for the Training and Capacity Development department.
- Develop, review, update and edit all departmental communication materials including web content, publications, papers, newsletters etc. and ensure that Programme standards are strictly adhered to.
- Develop appropriate communication materials, products and outreach tools (digital, etc) to disseminate summaries of research projects and study findings to multi-level policymakers, local communities, scientific research agencies and networks, among other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and implement participatory approaches in knowledge exchange and information management locally, regionally and internationally so as to raise awareness on research activities and findings from the Training department.
- Identify and establish dynamic local, regional and international networks to promote public and stakeholder engagement in science through collaboration with (non)science related institutions and financiers.
- Support monitoring, reporting and knowledge exchange of departmental research activities, projects and trainings (etc), and assist the documentation of case studies, best practices etc. on research and programme activities.
- Provide information on the Training department’s activities to financiers, potential financiers, member states and all other parties seeking information as may be authorised.
- Under the guidance and permission of the Programme Manager, engage local, national and international media in order to input into existing public fora for health and science and positively communicate and disseminate research findings/outcomes as per Programme policy.
- Review departmental reports, papers, policy briefs, grant proposals and applications (etc) to assure that they adhere to set standards and in line with Programme communication policies and protocols.
- Support the development and timely update of the departmental website.
- Liaise with third parties to ensure accurate and timely production of publication and communication materials e.g. brochures, newsletters, documentaries etc.
- Maintain the communication library of the Training and Capacity Development department including audio, video and picture recordings.
- Support other departmental activities and assignments as maybe be required.
- A degree in public relations, communications, science communication, communication for development, journalism or related fields.
- 3 years relevant work experience.
- Training in Correl Draw, Photoshop and other image editing and publishing software.
- Experience in designing, editing and managing websites and institutional publications and, writing in a variety of styles to suit different media and audiences.
- Familiarity with and experience in methodologies, processes and systems for communication, knowledge and information management in institutions including the use of digital technologies.
- Excellent familiarity with modern and best practice approaches to communication, knowledge exchange and information management.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in presentation, publishing and image editing software among other computer applications.
- Relevant experience in high quality video production and photography.
- Experience in science communication and in development and implementation of electronic systems and services for knowledge and information management for research institutions.
- Previous knowledge and experience with communication outreach and public engagement across diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of current communication trends and previous experience in state of the art communication tools including TV and radio.
- Previous experience in managing communication for public events including seminars, conferences, workshops, etc.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and engagement with diverse media personalities (TV, radio, print, etc).
- Strong writing, proof-reading, editing and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to establish, grow and maintain impactful networks and work relations.
- Proactive, creative, innovative and attentive to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with abilities to demystify complex scientific jargon.
- Strong planning and organization skills.
- High level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to work in teams and in multi-cultural environments.
- Position based at KWTRP in Kilifi.
How To Apply
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 14 March, 2019.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.