Job Code: 1631
The Communications and Advocacy Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing communication, media and advocacy initiatives to illustrate programmatic successes and increase awareness on the importance and availability of HIV care and treatment to move Kenya closer to the 90-90-90 goals of the National Strategic HIV Plan and the Global Initiative of Start free, Stay Free and AIDS Free.
The incumbent will work closely with program colleagues to identify and address key policy implementation obstacles that need to be addressed and identify successes that need to be documented from the field.
- Leverage country programmatic and research experience and expertise to position EGPAF as a thought leader and implementer in ending AIDS in children.
- Lead the development and dissemination of communication and advocacy products including documentation and dissemination of EGPAF impact stories, best practices, research findings and project and program achievements through various platforms and fora.
- Identify and shape story ideas arising from EGPAF’s work for use in media and other outreach materials including EGPAF website/ blog and social media.
- Collaborate with key allies and stakeholders to influence policy and practice towards a generation free of HIV and in providing quality services to people affected by HIV, particularly children and adolescents.
- Oversee knowledge management role at EGPAF Kenya.
Management of the EGPAF advocacy and communications outcomes
- Lead the development and implementation of EGPAF Kenya’s communication and advocacy strategies and work planning and budgeting.
- Collaborate with the program teams to identify story ideas and advocacy issues.
- Collaborate with program team on advocacy against HIV stigma & discrimination.
- Collaborate with Country Director on advocacy at county level for increased funding for HIV programming.
- Closely collaborate with EGPAF’s External Affairs and Global Public Policy and Advocacy to drive EGPAF’s work regionally and globally.
Documentation and dissemination
- Develop and disseminate of communication and advocacy products including documentation and dissemination of EGPAF impact stories, best practices, research findings and project and program achievements through various platforms and fora.
- Work with the technical team to translate technical information to messages that can be understood and actioned by ordinary citizens.
- Liaise with HQ and lead social media communication strategy for EGPAF Kenya.
- Produce annual report and ensure reports and presentations to donors and other stake-holders communicate effectively.
- Ensure all materials produced adhere to EGPAF and donor branding guidelines.
- Chair the Editorial Committee and provide input and feedback on documents written by staff.
- Build the capacity of EGPAF staff and selected representatives in the effective use of communication materials.
Strategic consultation, coordination and support for advocacy and communications for project teams
- Identify and address key communication and advocacy issues arising from the programs and develop appropriate interventions to address them.
- Participate in technical committees, strategic advocacy initiatives and civil society networks as appropriate to drive EGPAF’s advocacy agenda.
- Provide counsel and support to senior leadership for strategic national and international meetings that require talking points, key messages etc. to ensure appropriate EGPAF representation.
- Increase awareness among the Kenyan media on paediatric AIDS and prevention issues and expand media coverage of EGPAF’s work and paediatric AIDS and prevention issues.
- Actively represent EGPAF with media and key stakeholders.
- Ensure EGPAF is known for the range of its expertise and effectively communicates its work in program implementation, research and advocacy.
- Work with External Affairs to develop and distribute press releases, media advisories, fact sheets and other appropriate materials to support media coverage of EGPAF and partner activities.
- Prepare EGPAF leadership and other spokespersons for media interviews and/or presentations in consultation with EGPAF media team in HQ and Nairobi.
- Organize media workshops to build capacity of the journalists on the area of PMTCT and care among others.
Stakeholder engagement and partnership building
- Identify and guide external opportunities for strategic engagement to advance EGPAF’s advocacy priorities in country including Technical working groups at national and county levels.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships and networks with stakeholders, advocates and influencers as well as identify opportunities for strategic engagement to advance EGPAF’s priorities in Kenya.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Advanced (Master’s) in Social Sciences, Communication, Public Policy or related qualification with at least 5 years of related communications and advocacy experience and demonstrated history of successfully working with stakeholders and relevant partners.
- Work experience in International NGOs preferable experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders, with proven ability to provide support to communication and education initiatives.
- Media publications on health issues will be an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills coupled with excellent communication skills: verbal, written, listening, presentation and facilitation.
- A team player who can skilfully coordinate activities with senior management, project directors, and staff, and who has the sensitivity and interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with a group of diverse personalities.
- Understanding of design skills and attention to detail to support visually appealing product development in line with EGPAF branding and style guides.
- Able to manage a high volume of tasks and being adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing, and following through.
- Decisive, independent, and resourceful with the ability to anticipate and act on events and opportunities in an appropriate and thoughtful manner. Must have credibility, good judgment, honesty and integrity.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and high levels of self-motivation, integrity and initiative
- Good computer skills for communications
- Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders, with proven ability to provide support to communication and education initiatives
Click Here To Apply
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.