Media Relations NGO Internships at International Potato Center
The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a highly talented Media Relations Intern to help improve CIP’s social engagement
CIP (http://www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
Proactive media relations outreach, planning and relationship building to position CIP and its spokespeople in Pan-African, Regional and national broadcast, radio and print outlets, leading the conversation on roots and tubers
Duties for the Media Relations NGO Internships
- Establishing and building press relationships (broadcast, radio, print, social);
- Pitching press on a daily basis, creating releases, advisories and quick story ideas in collaboration with program and staff leads, project communications officers in the region and partners;
- Identifying story angles based on media coverage, trends and CIP’s priorities – working closely with the Regional Communications Specialist;
- Preparing spokespeople; creating talking points, backgrounders and issue briefs;
- Organizing media tours, deskside briefings, editorial meetings for key spokespeople/scientists;
- Maintaining media database (Meltwater) globally, ensuring lists are up-to-date, in collaboration with regional managers and field staff;
- Creating and optimizing cross-promotion opportunities with partners and donors
- Collaborating with field staff and promotion officers (Aime, David) to maximize efforts and expand reach;
- Providing general communications support up to 20% per day with 80% dedicated to media activities.
Media Relations NGO Internships Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Media studies or related field;
- 1 year Experience in a newsroom or media environment highly desirable;
- Proficient in English and Kiswahili;
- Skills in database management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- A Kenyan citizen.
- Conditions: This is an internship position open to Kenyan citizens only. The internship contract will be for a period of three months with the possibility of renewal, subject to performance.
How to Apply
Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website (https://cipotato.org/internships/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on 14 November, 2017 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.