As “Commercial Delivery Manager” you will operate as a commercial expert advisor driving commercial acumen across BHC Nairobi and the Somalia Network. You will apply your influence and expertise to manage both Kenya and Somalia country portfolios while delivering the UK’s Commercial and Procurement Strategies in Kenya and Somalia.
You will work closely with the Heads of Mission, Development Directors and staff from Kenya and Somalia to ensure procurement/commercial processes support timely delivery of the overall
country strategies. You will also work closely with, and line manage the Delegated Procurement Officer (DPO).
On commercial management and delivery, you will draw on the expertise of the Commercial Directorate through the Programme Delivery Commercial Team that sits in the UK and other colleagues across the Commercial Delivery Managers Network across Africa.
The role is to act as a commercial lead between Commercial and key business stakeholders. The post-holder will:
- Operate as a commercial expert advisor to deliver optimal strategies for programme investment decisions and sourcing strategies for procured contracts. This will include providing advice on other routes to market to stakeholder teams and business units.
- Ensure we are making the right decisions on other effective delivery models for our programmes and will apply commercial, development and contextual knowledge to provide expert commercial input on how we structure our programmes for effective delivery and the mechanisms we need to put in place to ensure we are able to build strong partnership relationships with our delivery partners
- Commercially influencing project design via effective early market engagement and market analysis
- Develop commercial capability of stakeholders to address all contractual issues in relation to the programme life-cycle
- Support and maintain the development of category strategies and contractual routes across all relevant funding modalities; and key suppliers / delivery partners in the thematic category to deliver improved results and impact.
- Provide expert, strategic sourcing advice via allocated thematic area and / or teams
- Forge strong engagement with key stakeholders from across FCDO and potentially other UK government departments as appropriate
Roles and responsibilities:
The specific responsibilities listed below are indicative and subject to change, though the broad themes will remain.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
The specific responsibilities listed below are indicative and subject to change, though the broad themes will remain:
Leading Commercial Strategy and Policy
- Providing leadership to support the delivery of the Commercial Vision and ensure programme colleagues have a clear understanding of all new, relevant procurement and commercial processes and practises.
- Providing inputs and expertise to develop effective commercial approaches that support our increasing BHC Nairobi and the Somalia Network role in effective Diplomacy and Influencing work.
- Leading on governance required throughout the contract lifecycle to include preparation of papers and presentations to governance boards for approvals.
- Supporting BHC and Somalia Network colleagues in the design and development of new Business cases, with specific responsibility for early support in drafting Appraisal and Commercial sections of all Business Cases.
- Lead for the BHC Nairobi and the Somalia Network in providing commercial scrutiny for all Indirect (non-contract) partners e.g., UN, World Bank, Civil Society partners etc. and facilitate the delivery of efficiency savings from programmes that contribute towards the wider FCDO Commercial savings targets.
- Manage, develop, and maintain the BHC Nairobi and the Somalia Network Commercial Delivery Plan as a basis from which to measure in-country/business area commercial development and maturity.
- Ensure all relevant management information is provided on time to support FCDO Commercial and in-country/business area commercial reporting requirements.
- Supporting the development of an open and inclusive culture for the FCDO commercial function, role-modelling collaborative, and inclusive behaviours.
- Support stakeholders on contract amendments and disputes in line with HMG Governance.
- Delivery of commercial capability training, to ‘up-skill’ programme colleagues and to ensure programme colleagues are kept fully informed of updated procurement and commercial guidance.
- Provide scrutiny and support in the drafting and finalisation of non-contract (MoU and AG) agreements with Multilateral & CSO partners.
- Work alongside BHC Nairobi and Somalia Network programme and business unit colleagues to support improved contract management and VfM performance from all partners, including support on submitting contract amendments for approval. Where required, leading on the drafting and approval of contract amendments.
- Provide a key link between programme colleagues and Programme Delivery (PD) sourcing colleagues to ensure PD sourcing colleagues have a clear understanding of the country/UK business area context and that programme colleagues have a clear understanding of FCDO Commercial priorities.
- Work with Programme Delivery Thematic CDMs and Category Leads to ensure relevant category strategies, e.g., funding modalities; market engagement and development; Delivery Model Assessment maturity, etc. contribute to business case development and sourcing decisions.
- Where required, lead the end-to-end commercial contractual activity, from business case input through sourcing (using relevant public sector procedures or frameworks) to contract award.
- Provide mentoring support where required for Delegated Procurement Officers (DPOs) ensuring they are kept engaged in FCDO Commercial activities.
- Effective stakeholder engagement, comprising as a minimum, key delivery partners and in-country/UK business area senior management team.
- Effective stakeholder engagement across wider in-country HMG Mission colleagues including where appropriate, in providing commercial advice across other HMG departments in-country.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the regional context; regional programme priorities; and local key suppliers/delivery partners in that region.
Effective team working
- Provide strong and supportive line management to the Delegated Procurement Officer.
- Act as a supportive member of the wider ART, REACH, BHC Nairobi and wider Somalia Network teams, demonstrating agility and willingness to support and engage in cross-mission objectives above and beyond immediate thematic priorities.
- Address cases of poor performance, and bullying, harassment, and discrimination.
Line management and wider working relationships:
The job holder will report to the G7 Head of ART and will have regular contact with the G7 Head of REACH, Team Leaders, Advisors, and programme management team across BHC Nairobi and the Somalia Network. The jobholder will also engage with the Commercial Directorate in the UK. Externally, there will be regular contact with implementing partners other development partners, consultants, and procurement agents.
This job holder is also part of the Programme Delivery Commercial team (HQ in UK) and works to eradicate extreme poverty by providing commercial support to the region. The job holder will be part of the Africa team of CDMs with dotted line responsibility into the Commercial Business Partner for Africa.
As one of the senior leaders among Country-Based Staff, you will naturally take on corporate responsibilities that promote “One HMG” and a collaborative ethos across the BHC and the Somalia Network. Exact roles and responsibilities for this corporate contribution (10% of time) will be defined once you are in post.