Assistant Editor Job, Latest Education Jobs In Kenya 2022,
ASSISTANT EDITOR-(BOOKS PUBLISHING)
|NATURE OF JOB||FULL TIME|
|SALARY RANGE||KSHs 50,000.00|
|INDUSTRY||BOOKS PUBLISHING COMPANY|
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain high-quality book content/ quality assurance.
- Brief and provide writing guidelines to authors in consultation with the Editor
- Guide Authors on the structure of the book.
- Evaluate/ review the raw manuscripts from authors and write comprehensive reports to Editor.
- Perform structural editing of the manuscript in close consultation with the Editor.
- Oversee and approve design and layout of the manuscript in consultation with Editor.
- Brief, oversee, confirm, and approve illustrations before being used or payment made in consultation with the Editor and Manager.
- Perform copy editing of the manuscript as may be assigned by the Editor or Manager from time to time.
- Proofread and effect corrections on the manuscript.
- Review and quality check manuscript in consultation with the Editor.
- Verify facts cited in the manuscript.
- Rewrite text to make it easier for readers to understand (where necessary).
- Review and effect proof-reader’s suggestions in consultation with the Editor.
- Work with writers to help their ideas succeed and to treat the authors with dignity, fairness, courtesy, objectivity, honesty and transparency.
- Establish with authors, editors and managers a system/plan for effective and rapid work production.
- Give illustrations and digital content briefs to the Editor in liaison with the authors.
- Organise or attend moderation workshops with authors to improve content developed, where necessary.
- Conduct plagiarism check/ ethical issues in the work submitted by the authors.
- Close follow-ups with authors and detect non-performing authors as well as offer recommendations on their termination.
- Write and provide the line Editor with relevant book production documents such as conformity letter and author bios/ details.
- Recommend royalty split ratio based on the author’s final contributions of the content in consultation with the Editor and Manager.
- Attend status report meetings and submit weekly status reports to the Editor and Manager.
- Bachelor of Education or Arts Degree or its equivalents
- At least 2 years’ experience as an editor in a book-publishing environment
- A high level of creativity and innovation
- Excellent writing and communication skills, computer literacy, strong organisation skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to appreciate and critic literary works of all genres
- Working knowledge of digital publishing and design will be an added advantage
- Teaching experience with a record of consistent performance will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
- If you meet the above qualifications, skills and experience send CV to [email protected]
- Interviews will be carried out on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.