Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Reports to: Senior Procurement Officer
Start Date: May 2021
The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) is a leading development finance organisation that supports businesses to innovate, create jobs and leverage investments in order to create resilience and sustainable incomes in rural and marginalized communities in Africa. Launched in 2008, AECF has invested in 343 businesses across more than 40 value chains and 26 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. We focus specifically on agribusiness, renewable energy, and climate technologies, while also addressing the crosscutting themes of gender, youth, and fragile contexts. In just over a decade, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives, created close to 24,000 jobs, and leveraged over US $740 million in matching funds. AECF is headquartered in Kenya, with offices in Côte d’Ivoire and Tanzania.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya with offices in Cote d’ Ivoire and Tanzania.
The AECF is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, passionate, and results-oriented Procurement Officer. The role holder will support procurement, vehicle, and inventory management functions of AECF as well as day to day support in management of procurement activities.
The incumbent will work to ensure procurement activities uphold AECF procurement policy and best practices in all aspects of procurement implementation, help procurement solicitations and sourcing procedures, cost and selection analysis, issuance of contract awards, reviewing payment requests, monitoring awardee performance, and maintaining procurement files. The function involves forming and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external clients and an adherence to policies & procedures. The role is based in Nairobi.
· Support the review and implementation of procurement policies, guidelines, internal control systems and procedures.
· Support the establishment of a clear procurement plan ensuring that requests are managed effectively allowing sufficient time is provided to complete all necessary processes.
· Review, record, and prioritise purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required; help requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; propose product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; confirm the availability of funding sources.
· Identify and recommend sources of procurement; interview potential suppliers; prepares and maintains database of approved suppliers and prequalified lists.
· Produce tender documents (e.g., Requests for Pre-qualifications, Invitations to Bid, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotations) based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved.
· Prepare abstracts of offers and compile data contained in quotations, proposals, and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality, delivery time, payment terms and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
· Enter negotiation of terms and conditions of orders; obtain credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
· Finalize purchase orders and contracts for approval in line with delegated authority, and if required, prepare submissions for review and subsequent approval.
· Resolve issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received, demurrages; prepares and signs return to vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
· Maintain relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, framework arrangements, etc.
· Ensures safe custody of the Purchase Orders, Quotations, procurement related correspondences, and any other accountable documents.
· Research, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment’s in the market.
· Ensure the No Conflict-of-Interest Policy is upheld throughout all processes of procurement.
· Support management of all contracts issued and ensure that they are up-to-date and adhered to by the authorised suppliers.
· Manage all the Procurement files and documents and ensure that all the procurement records are up to date.
· Coordinate the disposal of obsolete and surplus materials/assets.
· Ensure that all travel adheres to the AECF Travel Policy.
· Support the procurement of Hotels & Accommodation for events, workshops etc.
· Support day-to-day travel and logistics management ensuring that all travel and logistics complies with AECF’s travel policy.
· Review travel authorisations and confirm budgets where necessary.
· Assist in interpretation and training staff on travel policies and procedures.
Training & Capacity Building
· Support organisation of procurement and logistics trainings for staff on a regular basis.
· Assist in development and maintenance of an effective orientation package to ensure that new staff members are appropriately orientated on procurement policies and procedures in a timely manner.
· Ensure the procurement department maintains cooperative relations with other departments and interacts with them in a positive manner.
· Provide support in managing all supplies for the organisation, ensuring the administration team are logging all incoming and outgoing supplies and any discrepancies are investigated and reported.
· Provide support in managing the process of procurement and delivery of supplies to office/sites/training/events, ensuring all items are logged in and any extra supplies are returned to the office and logged correctly where necessary.
Required qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, International Business, or related disciplines.
· Diploma from Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (CIPS) or equivalent certification from a recognized institution.
· Excellent command of English and Swahili, fluency in French will be an added advantage.
· Be a member of a procurement-related professional body such as KISM, CIPS etc.
· Four (4) years’ experience in a busy procurement environment.
· Knowledge of procurement and logistics and related fields.
· Reliable and dependable, high level of personal integrity and attention to detail.
· Knowledge of ERP systems and related software.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as word, excel, outlook.
· Excellent numeracy, literacy, and organizational skills.
· Strong client service orientation and displaying a good-natured cooperative attitude with internal and external clients.
· Knowledge of EU, DFID and USAID, procurement conditions a plus.
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Applicants from local community are highly encouraged.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter