The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) is a leading development finance organisation that supports businesses to innovate, create jobs and leverage investments in order to create resilience and sustainable incomes in rural and marginalized communities in Africa. Launched in 2008, AECF has invested in 292 businesses across more than 40 value chains and 26 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. We focus specifically on agribusiness, renewable energy, and climate technologies, while also addressing the cross-cutting themes of gender, youth, and fragile contexts. In just over a decade, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives, created close to 24,000 jobs, and leveraged over US $740 million in matching funds.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya, with offices in Côte d’Ivoire and Tanzania.
As the Partnerships Officer, you will support the development and maintenance of partnership management aspects at AECF. The organizations strategy depends on working with partners who have complementary capabilities and resources so we can realize transformative impact by leveraging their ideas, resources, capabilities.
Working with senior program leadership and other teams, you will help prioritize our institutional and private foundation relationships, develop tools and systems to support partnership development and fundraising activities, and help manage specific projects that are uniquely dependent on partnerships. You will also support program management processes so that the opportunities and goals of our program work are connected to partnership opportunities and goals.
Working as a member of the Strategy and Partnerships unit, and under the guidance of the Manager- Partnerships & Gender, the Partnership Officer:
- Assumes responsibility for supporting various partnership initiatives of the organisation in general, (or a regional office in particular), with a primary focus on co-funding although his/her tasks also include, as second priorities, the areas of parallel funding, advisory services, capacity building in resource mobilization and related research.
- Provides strategic assistance to Program Leaders and Program Officers, in collaboration with the Strategy and Partnerships Team, in developing strategies and processes, as well as in initiating and enhancing partnership relationships with multilateral and bilateral development institutions, foundations and the private sector.
- Supports specific projects in all the phases of the partnering process: exploration, the proposal writing, negotiation with partners, budget preparation and review of donor agreements.
- Supports program staff and regional offices by developing specific donor landscapes, information documents, analyses and partnering and resource mobilization strategies.
- Plans and coordinates the training for AECF staff on issues related to resource mobilization and partnerships management.
- Assists AECF staff in identifying, developing, and managing AECF’s contacts with other international and donor agencies.
- Contributes to organisation-wide public relations efforts and to knowledge production and dissemination, including participation in AECF and public fora; and
- Participates in team meetings as well as international conferences and meetings.
AECF Wide Donor Funding Support
- Supports donor funding coordination.
- Facilitates key relationships between Strategy and Partnerships unit and clients (Program Areas, and Regional Offices).
- Supports the development of MOU and other agreements with donor organisations.
- With respect to donors, undertakes research and information gathering, briefings, networking, liaison, etc.
- With respect to potential donor partners for specific projects, identifies liaises, undertakes briefings, tracks activities, and pursues opportunities; and
- Plans and coordinates the training for AECF staff on issues related to resource mobilization.
Donor Funding Support to Program Areas, Program Initiatives, Regional Offices and Beneficiaries
- Supports the development and update of donor landscapes and donor funding strategies, including relevant communication materials, for the clients and AECF staff; and
- Support the development of partnership strategies and provide advice on funding opportunities.
Donor Funding Support for Specific Programmes
- Takes part in developing the Authorization to Negotiate and in writing proposals for donors.
- Negotiates with donor partners.
- Helps in the preparation of the budget.
- Supports the monitoring and administration of the programme and relationship management; and
- Supports the reporting to the donor.
Partnership Programme (Consultancies) Development and Management
- Assesses proposals, including conceptual, methodological, operational, evaluative, and financial aspects and identifies and develops proposals in accordance with AECF’s policies.
- Manages, in consultation with the Manager- Partnerships and Gender, the preparation of contracts, adjustment of budgets and schedules, and project closures.
- Manage partnerships projects, including the selection and supervision of consultants.
- Provides technical supervision, including analysis of interim reports, participation in workshops, identification, and administration of resource persons/consultants in support of projects; and
- Reviews final reports of results and negotiates revisions and/or additional requirements.
- Participates in regular Strategy and Partnerships meetings, and when required in other program areas, and organisation wide meetings and committees; and
- Collaborates with colleagues in regional offices in the identification and evaluation of emerging and key development trends and priorities in a particular region.
- Participates in public fora; and
- Plans and organizes meetings with heavy donor representation.
- At least a bachelor’s degree qualification in Economics, Development Finance, International Relations, Development Studies, or other relevant fields of study.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in one or more of the following areas: private sector development, finance, agriculture, agribusiness, SME finance, rural financial services and/or renewable energy and adaptation to combat climate change.
- Solid experience in income generation from partnerships, secured / retention of multi-million-dollar partnerships and leading high-profile partnership engagements.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills with the ability to prepare proposals, reports and concept papers to a high level of proficiency.
- Excellent understanding of development partnerships, fund-raising, donor strategies, functions, and international relations.
- Experience in gender mainstreaming is an asset.
- Fluency in English is essential. French is an added advantage.
- Have excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Must possess excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrate strong people management and negotiation skills.
- Strong cross-cultural skills and versatility in dealing with different types of partnerships.
- Being able to effectively network with partners, donors, and other international organizations, seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to AECF’s strategic objectives.
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.